Thursday, May 30, 2013

3 Steps Back...

Our hopes are obviously that Haddie will get into a sprint and keep progressing daily. However, we know from what everyone has told us, and today's current events, that this is a marathon. It's a long journey that will have some hills. O how I hate hilly marathons.

Haddie had some respiratory problems this morning that started an in depth investigation into what is going on with her. Most things they chalk up to her being a premie. Some they think may be cause by the braini injury. Whatever the case we found out a few things that aren't gong right. She is having trouble with her breathing due to an opening in her heart. It's called a PDA. In the womb this is necessary to help give extra oxygen to the lungs. I could try and explain further but wiki will do a better job if you are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_ductus_arteriosus

Basically this needs to close now that she's born. They will try the medication indocin which can, but usually doesn't, close the valve. They try it because its less invasive. If it doesn't work, they will have to do a small incision on her chest and put in a small clamp that will close the PDA. In the mean time of trying the medication, Haddie has to be back on the CPAP tube to help her breathe, she's getting a blood transfusion, and she's being monitored like crazy.

As some of you know, I once ran a very hilly marathon in WestVirginia. I was looking for a challenge and since I hate to run, I felt running 26.2 miles of hills would give me a challenge. Dumb, I know. It started off shaky, I got my pace and went 13 miles without stopping. Then I "hit a wall". I had to walk for a while. But eventually I got a 2nd wind that carried me to mile 20. There I hit a major wall and had to walk the rest. I honestly wasn't sure if I would make it. I was out of gas. But then I got some help. A runner named Henry came along and ran with me. He wouldn't leave me and kept pushing me to jog. Then at mile 23 I had my family and friends meet me and challenge me to keep going. Somehow, I finished that race.

Haddie is in a marathon. She's gonna have good days and she's gone have tough ones. She needs you to come alongside her and pray. She needs her mom and I to be by her side. Last night we recorded a tape of us reading, singing, and praying for her to listen to when we aren't here. The finish line is no where in sight. We aren't sure yet how God is gonna have this go...but we pray and hope that we can take her home someday. Either way, she's a winner. God is good.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Travis and Kate.. I am sorry you had a rough day and uncertain news.. I can not imagine what you are going through, but I know who can. God is with you each and every step and HE understands your fears and uncertainty. You know His presence thankfully and are doing such a great job.. hang in there in this marathon and know that there are many who are there along the course to hand you water, cheer you on, and help you keep up... peace and hope..nanc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so touching. Haddie and you guys have lots of people praying for you. I'm praying that God will continue to give you a strong peace in the day to day plans He has. Also I'm praying for healing for your precious baby daughter. She's so sweet. God is always tenderly holding her, even when you are not there with her. What an amazing little girl and what an amazing God who created Haddie, loves her deeply, and is caring for her!

    ReplyDelete