Monday, May 20, 2013

The Myrtle Tree

Myrtle Tree
Things are headed in the right direction for Haddie this week. I havent posted in a while because not a lot has happened. Her bilirubin levels have gradually came down and soon she won't have to be under the bright blue lights that help her jaundice. She is being fed 12ml of milk through her feeding tube every 3-4 hours and is holding that down. All in all she is progressing pretty good. The coolest thing that has happened in the past 3 days has been the "kangaroo care". Kate and I love holding that little girl. I've posted the videos at the bottom of this blog.

The question we get from many of the nurses is "what does Hadassah mean" and "is that a family name" and my favorite, "are you all Jewish". Many of you know where the name comes from. I'll explain how we landed on it in a bit more detail.

Hadassah is the Hebrew name of Esther, the queen who saved the Jews from annihilation in what is known as the Purim. If you have never read this story, I strongly encourage you to read the book of Esther. She was a young queen who dared to face the king without invitation and accuse his right hand man Haman of plotting against her people. She is beautiful...but she is also brave.

But it goes deeper for us. Kate and I liked the name originally but we wondered what it meant in Hebrew. We looked it up and were a bit confused. It means "myrtle tree". It seemed odd to us to name our daughter after a tree. Looking deeper though we found in Zechariah 1:8 it says "During the night I had a vision, and there before me was a man mounted on a red horse. He was standing among the myrtle trees in a ravine." It's talking about an angel here. The tree itself is very beautiful but also bitter. The Jewish writers said that was appropriate for Esther. She was beautiful to the king but bitter toward Haman. 

So basically the name means beautiful, fighter, brave, and chosen. We felt that very appropriate for our Haddie. Two other things sealed the deal. Kate and I both have great grandmas...mine with the name Myrtle and Kate's with the name Myrtie. And lastly, many myrtle trees can be found in Lebanon which is where my mother's family comes from. 






And so we chose Hadassah. And she has lived up to the name. Enjoy some pictures and videos from the past 3 days.







Bare Haddie and nurse Sharon
















Kate holding Haddie 1





Kate holding Haddie 2




Travis holding Haddie

















2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Dawn and I'm following your blog via a friend. I tried to comment on your last post but had trouble doing so from my phone. I wanted to suggest you talk to a social worker at the hospital about applying for Medicaid for your daughter under what is called "institutional deeming." Now, things may have changed since I worked in early intervention, but my understanding is that after a child has been in the hospital for 30 days that they can qualify as a family of one, and be considered for Medicaid without regard to the parents' income. Also, check and see what other programs are available for special needs children. My daughter has mitochondrial disease and we have been able to get coverage for her medications beyond what our insurance covers. I know from personal experience that having a child with special needs is trying enough without having to worry about being financially ruined. There are programs out there to help, but sometimes you have to ask. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. You all will continue to be in my prayers. In Christ, Dawn Mathias (via Lexie Haynes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these precious videos. The looks of love on your faces and your tender smiles speak volumes beyond words.

    ReplyDelete